Sunday, May 10, 2015

Reflection Post

When I look back on my Twenty Time Project and the progress I made on it, I have to admit I am disappointed that I did not achieve my goal of hosting a carnival and donating the proceeds to the Alzheimer's Association.  I was so excited when I finally thought of my idea for this project back in September because I knew that this project wouldn't just look good for colleges, but it would also benefit those who needed it most.  After my first few blog posts, I was very confident that I would be able to achieve the carnival.  With people commenting reassuring words my excitement grew as I realized that this project could actually make a huge impact, not only in my community but also all throughout the Alzheimer's community.    
As I think about where I went wrong in planning of the carnival, or lack there of, one specific feeling stood out to me.  As I started to buckle down and really get started on my project, I started to realize I had no idea what I was doing and had no idea where to start.  The fact that I had no way of funding the carnival was also a looming problem that I could not find a solution to.  Although, my teacher did give me a great idea to involve school clubs to set up booths, I was still lost as to what to do.  I didn't really want to ask for help because I wanted to be able to say that this project was completely my own, and that is where I think I made my biggest mistake.
If I were to do this project over again I would have involved more people in the planning.  It may not seem like it, but planning a successful carnival is so much work!  Balancing that with school, sports, and a job was impossible to do on my own.  The more I think about it though, I don't think I would set up a carnival for this cause.  I should have chosen something a bit more realistic, because I just can't think of a way to fund something as extensive as a carnival.  Although, I am happy I had this chance to do this project because although I may not have achieved my goal, I still learned a lot about not only myself, but about how kids my age and the internet in general respond to these type of ideas.  I have learned that as long as you are passionate about something and it is something positive, than you will find people that will back you all the way.  I hope to some day, when I have the time, be able to retry this project achieve my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment